The Art House Wakefield is a large studio complex and exhibition space. We offer professional residencies for artists across all stages of their career.
Deadline for applications: Midnight, Sunday 19 January 2020.
We provide a month-long residency to three artists at the Art House including:
- An artist’s fee of £1,500
- A materials budget, up to a maximum of £750
- Travel expenses, up to a maximum of £250
- Free self-catering accommodation in our flat, within the Art House building
- Free studio space in the Art House
- Access to our print studio with screen print, etching and laser cutter facilities
- An opportunity to show either a new body of work created during the residency or work in progress in our exhibition space.
- 1-2-1 support from the programme team in producing, developing, and discussing your work and critical practice. We will talk with selected artists prior to the start of the residency and work to develop a programme of support which suits your needs.
We are happy to discuss how the residency offer can be changed to suit your needs. We will accept proposals from artists who would like to work collaboratively with another artist, although the fee will then be shared between collaborators.
In addition to the residencies listed, we may also award smaller research bursaries and support to relevant proposals which don’t naturally fit the residency format.
Each residency will run for up to five weeks and culminate in an exhibition, event, or series of events in one of the following slots:
- 04-29 May 2020, with a public event on 27 May 2020
- 06-31 July 2020, with a public event on 29 July 2020
- 04-29 January 2021, with a public event on 27 January 2021
Who can apply:
- We welcome proposals from artists working in all types of media.
- This opportunity is not open to undergraduate students, or postgraduate students who would still be studying during the residency dates. (Some exceptions can be made for PhD students).
- Artists do not have to be UK residents to apply, and can be based overseas.
- Applicants must be over 18.
All applications will be reviewed by the programme team at The Art House.
Previous residents over the last 24 months:
Sachin Kaeley / Nicola Singh / Laura Yuile / Cole Ndelu / Dimple B Shah / Mathew Parkin (in residence March 2020) / Maybelle Peters (in residence March 2020) / Mitra Saboury / Yelena Popova / Simona Brinkmann / Rich White / Buhle Wonder Mbambo / Joey Chin / Tony Heaton
Submit an application
Head to CuratorSpace for more information about residencies at The Art House and to submit an application.
If you need to apply in a different format for accessibility reasons, please contact The Art House.Apply now