Introduction to Ceramics: Six-Week Course
12 September 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
£240 per personBook Now
Unlock your inner ceramicist in this six-week introduction course. Learn how to use the tools and equipment to get started in ceramics and be guided through commonly used methods.
Classes are kept small to maximise your time with your teaching artists, ensuring you can really nurture your skills. You will be able to select your three favourite pieces and have them fired and glazed in our kiln. Three weeks after the course you can collect your pieces and be reminded of the brilliant skills you developed.
Techniques you’ll explore
- Handbuilding: Using a variety of methods such as slab, pinching and forming you’ll create the diverse shapes clay can produce.
- Coiling: Using this ancient method of building you will form winding and circular forms.
- Throwing: Get started on the wheel and learn the processes of clay to pot. You’ll learn how the prep, centre form and build your clay into cylindrical forms.
- Slip: Using the method of slip design you can create layered decorative piece on a form of your choice using coloured clay.
- Moulds and formers: Using Plaster formers as bases to build your pieces.
- Pulling handles: Learn the method of pulling and attaching handles.
- 12 September 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
- 19 September 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
- 26 September 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
- 03 October 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
- 10 October 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
- 17 October 2022, 18:00 - 20:30
Who is the Workshop for?
This course is suitable for adults who are complete beginners or for those who wish to refresh their previous knowledge. You don’t need to feel confident in clay to start this course as all aspects of the medium are covered.
Do I Need to Bring Anything?
All equipment and tools will be provided for you as well materials to explore all processes. We recommend wearing old clothes or bringing an apron in case you get a bit messy! If you have long hair we recommend tying it back.
Course Booking Terms and Conditions
Workshop and course bookings can be cancelled and refunded up until 7 days before the scheduled start date. Our workshops support the work we do as a charity, and because materials and equipment are ordered in advance, we regret that refunds cannot be offered less than 7 days before the workshop date. Please note that Eventbrite’s booking fee is non-refundable.
Bookings cannot be transferred between courses however bookings can be transferred to another person in the event that you are unable to attend on the day.
In the event that The Art House needs to cancel a workshop for any reason, for example due to tutor illness or if lockdown measures are put back in place your ticket will be refunded in full.