The Portrait in Graphite & Charcoal: Six-Week Course
02 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
£95 per personBook Now
Gain confidence and develop a strong understanding of how to draw the portrait in graphite and charcoal. You will explore drawing from a live model, with opportunities to study from photographs and works by master artists to develop skills and confidence.
There is a strong focus on the importance of tone, line and proportion and you’ll learn how to apply this successfully in a professional and relaxed environment with hands on tuition. Most importantly, emphasis is placed upon the enjoyment and fulfilment of what drawing from life can bring to students of all levels!
- You will begin working from a photograph of a model head cast in order to learn and practise basic set up, the use of materials and key terms. The fundamentals on how to begin and progress through the drawing will be established, bringing confidence when approaching a drawing from life.
- The following two weeks will be drawings from life working on line, proportion and the importance of light and shadow. You’ll develop your skills on drawing what we actually see, rather than what we think we see.
- Mid way through the course you’ll focus on completing a copy of a portrait by a master artist which will help to further understand the skills previously acquired.
- The final two weeks will consist of two larger drawings, putting together all of the principles to achieve a likeness. Personal style and creativity will also be explored at this stage.
- Weekly optional homework tasks will be set with support for any questions and guidance throughout the course.
We have made some changes to ensure everyone feels confident and safe to come and join in without fear of catching Coronavirus. Our autumn term courses will be running with fewer participants and in a larger space to allow the necessary room for social distancing. We hope that being able to immerse yourself with something creative will help to restore a sense of wellbeing and hopefulness as we navigate the ‘new normal’.
If you have any concerns or specific requirements regarding attending a course please feel free to get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 02 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
- 09 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
- 16 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
- 23 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
- 30 November 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
- 07 December 2020, 18:00 - 20:30
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for adult beginners and improvers. Small class sizes mean you’ll enjoy hands on tuition to get the most from the experience.
Do I need to bring anything?
You will need to bring some personal materials, such as papers, pencils and paints. You won’t need anything for the first session however and more information will be provided each week. Easels and drawing boards will be provided.
Workshop and course bookings can be cancelled and refunded up until 7 days before the scheduled start date. Our workshops support the work we do as a charity, and because materials and equipment are ordered in advance, we regret that refunds cannot be offered less than 7 days before the workshop date. Please note that Eventbrite’s booking fee is non-refundable.
We can offer the option to transfer to another course or transfer your ticket to a friend or relative in the event that you can’t attend due to Covid-19.
In the event that The Art House needs to cancel a workshop for any reason, for example due to tutor illness or if lockdown measures are put back in place your ticket will be refunded in full.
You might also be interested in...
Don't miss out on Print Studio news!
Sign up to our mailing list and keep up to date with all the latest news, events, workshops and courses at The Art House.Sign Up