The Portrait in Graphite & Charcoal: Six Week Course
Wednesdays, starts 01 May, 18:00
£90 per personBook Now
Over the course of 6 weeks, students will gain confidence and develop a strong understanding of how to draw the portrait in graphite and charcoal. The workshop will be centred around drawing from a live model, with opportunities to study from photographs and works by master artists to develop skills and confidence. There is a strong focus on the importance of tone, line and proportion, and students will learn how to apply this successfully in a professional and relaxed environment with hands on tuition. Most importantly, emphasis is placed upon the enjoyment and fulfilment of what drawing from life can bring to students of all levels!
Easels and drawing boards provided. Students must bring their own paper and drawing materials, a list of recommendations will be provided upon booking.
- We will begin working from a photograph of a model head cast in order to learn and practice basic set up, the use of materials, and key terms. The fundamentals on how to begin and progress through the drawing will be established, bringing confidence when approaching a drawing from life.
- The following two weeks will be drawings from life, working on line, proportion and the importance of light and shadow. We’ll develop our skills on how to draw what we see, rather than what we think we see, simplifying the complex forms of the features, gradually working from general to specific.
- Midway through we shall complete a copy of a portrait by a master artist. This imitation helps to further the understanding of the skills previously acquired, bringing inspiration when completing an original piece.
- The final two weeks will consist of two larger drawings, putting together all of the principles in order to achieve a likeness. Personal style and creativity will also be encouraged at this stage!
- Weekly optional homework tasks will be set, with support for any questions and guidance throughout the duration of the course.
- 01 May 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
- 08 May 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
- 15 May 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
- 22 May 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
- 29 May 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
- 05 June 2019, 18:00 - 20:30
Who is the course for?
This workshop is suitable for adult beginners and improvers. Small classes sizes mean you’ll enjoy hands on tuition to get the most from the experience.
Do I need to bring anything?
Yes, you will need to bring some personal materials, such as papers, pencils and paints. You won’t need these for the first session however and more information will be provided each week regarding the next week’s materials. Some equipment, such as easels and boards will be provided. Tea, coffee and water will be provided but you may wish to bring some snacks with you.
Workshop and course bookings may be cancelled up to 10 working days before the scheduled start date. Our commercial workshops support the work we do as a charity, and because materials and equipment are ordered in advance, we regret that refunds cannot be offered less than ten working days before the workshop date.
In the event that The Art House needs to cancel a workshop, your ticket will be refunded in full.
Bookings cannot be transferred between courses however bookings can be transferred to another person in the event that you are unable to attend on the day.