INTERNATIONAL ARTIST RESIDENCY
The Art House and The Royal Over-Seas League International Residency in the UK
The Art House (TAH) and the Royal Over-Seas League (ROSL) are delighted to announce the return of this incredible UK-based residency opportunity in 2023, for artists living and working in commonwealth (or former commonwealth) country, the US, EU and EEA countries or Switzerland who have not yet exhibited or worked in the UK.
The Residency Opportunity
TAH and ROSL are seeking proposals from artists who would like to take up a two-month supported residency at TAH’s purpose-built accessible studios in Wakefield. The opportunity is to help develop the practice of artists living and working internationally who have not yet worked or exhibited in the UK. The successful artist(s) is not required to make an object or exhibition, but they will receive curatorial and technical advice if required. We are keen to support two artists, staying with us at the same time.
The residency offers:
- Fully covered travel costs
- Fully covered visa costs
- Living costs covered with a per diem
- Free studio space and accommodation in The Art House
- Free access to a fully equipped Print Studio, with screen print, etching and laser cutter | Free access to a fully equipped Ceramic Studio | Free access to a fully equipped Darkroom – each includes the support of an onsite technician
- An opportunity to discuss showing either, an existing, or a new body of work created during the residency, or work in progress at TAH as part of an Open Studio, or potentially elsewhere at TAH
- Material and UK travel budget
- Artists are encouraged to keep a residency blog/or help share activities on social media, and take part in a film to document the residency
- Coaching and mentoring are available through 1-2-1 sessions with our Programme team to support artists to develop their critical understanding of their artistic practice, marketing, and developing audiences for their work (we will look at artists’ support needs at the start of the residency and put together a package of support)
- A supported and funded visit to ROSL London, up to a week’s stay in central London, and the opportunity to see the art scene of the capital over Frieze Art Fair week
Proposals are welcomed from artists working in all types of contemporary visual art practice, including photography, new media, fine art, artists’ moving image, sculpture, live art, crafts, design, architecture, site-specific, socially engaged and interdisciplinary practices. ROSL and TAH are committed to developing and supporting contemporary art practice and critical debate around it. We are accepting proposals from artists at all stages of their development and are particularly interested in artists who want to experiment, innovate and extend their practice.
Shortlisted artists will engage in an initial online conversation with ROSL and TAH Programme Team to explore their aspirations for this residency, and what other support may be needed and available. Both organisations are happy to discuss flexibility if any aspect of the offer needs adapting to suit your needs.
Full details can be found in our call-out downloads on this webpage. Large print, PDF, and audio versions are also available to download.
We want to make sure that our opportunities are accessible to everyone. All artists are actively encouraged to apply and if any aspect of the application process is unsuitable, please contact us.
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: 10:00 GMT, Monday 10 April 2023