At The Art House we try to go far beyond ramps and lifts – our building and the people in it are here to provide time, space and support for artists to develop their practice, catered to their individual needs. Accessibility is at the heart of everything we do, with particular focus on removing barriers to creative development and working towards providing a level playing field for everyone we engage with.
We have a legacy of working with – and providing support for – disabled artists: it’s where we started and equality is something we are really passionate about. We believe in providing services to ALL artists and we work hard to make sure that ALL artists have access to our services, including (but not limited to) those who self-define themselves as disabled. The Art House aims to be a place where disabled and non-disabled artists can work alongisde and with one another – not just because we believe in equality but because we believe that’s where really interesting things can happen.
An Accessible Building
In consultation with our disabled artist members, The Art House building was designed to be exemplary in its accessibility for disabled users.
Some of the features our building provides are:
- Level access on all levels of the building.
- A number of car parking spaces for blue badge holders.
- Emergency call points throughout the building.
- Two-metre wide corridors, allowing two wheelchair users or people with guide dogs to pass comfortably in the corridor.
- Lavatories of varying sizes to incorporate different access needs, including one with a shower.
- 24 hour access by key fob for studio-holders.
- Paired communal sinks for studio holders with one at sitting and one at standing height.
- Induction loops on the reception desk and in the large meeting room. A portable loop is also available.
- Flashing beacon fire alarms for hearing-impaired users.
- A video entry system with cameras and screens at both entrances.
- Sympathetic light levels for visually-impaired visitors.
- Spacious self-catering flat with wheelchair-friendly en-suite bathrooms.
All our publications are available in large print or audio format. If you require information in another language or have particular barriers you would like to discuss with a member of the team, please do not hesitate to contact us.